Fine Art/Alec Stern

I have what appears to be a print titled The Balclutha in Full Sail, by Alec Stern; sailing ship with billowing sails, blue sky, and ivory colored clouds. On the back of the frame is an About the Artist commentary from the Studio of Alec Stern, San Mateo California. If you have additional information, or perhaps approximate value I would be most appreciative. Kind regards, Chauncey 

Alexander Stern was born in Bridgeport, Connecticut on March 28, 1904. "Alec" Stern came to San Francisco with his family as an infant. He was raised there in Cow Hollow and was educated at Polytechnic High School. After graduating from Columbia University, he returned to California and entered the California School of Fine Arts. He worked his way through school as a riveter in shipyards and playing in a dance band. Stern was a member of the art department of the San Francisco Chronicle for eight years. During 1935-44 he worked in New York City on art commissions. Upon returning to California, he established a studio-home and printing plant in San Mateo where he produced Christmas cards, etchings, and prints. Stern died in San Francisco on November 10, 1994. Exhibited: San Francisco Art Ass'n, 1924-25; Peninsula Art Ass'n; Chicago and Philadelphia Societies of Etchers (many awards). Works held: Metropolitan Museum; New York Public Library.

If it is signed in pencil than it would be worth $300-$350. If it is just a print without his pencil signature $100.

Joseph B. Laskowski

I have been researching,buying, collecting, dealing, and appraising 19th and 20th Century American Art (1850-1950) for the past 15 years. Ask me anything about this topic. I am a member of the Pennsylvania Antiques Appraisers Association.

Experienced in American Art from the period 1850-1950. This Includes Impressionism, Regionalism, Early American Modernism, Hudson River School, WPA. I have 15 years researching, collecting, dealing, and appraising in this field. Ran a Fine Art gallery for 3 years in Phoenixville, Pa. that focused on American and European art from the 1800's to contemporary works. Rare books focused on fine art monographs and catalogue raisonne.

Pennsylvania Antique Appraisers Association
American Society of Appraisers (Candidate)

Brimfield Rush, a book written by Bob Wyss of the University of Connecticut. It details the escapades, trials and travails of myself, my ex, and other individuals who have been to Brimfield , Mass. to tame the largest flea market in North America. Maybe even the world.

American Society of Appraisers
BA from Lenoir-Rhyne University in North Carolina
Appraisal Studies at George Washington University