Fine Art/Chagall COA

I was wondering where I could get a letter of authenticity for my Chagall lithograph "magic Flute III" signed and numbered 19/50? Thank You, Denise

Hi Denise, I believe you are looking for a Certificate of Authenticity (C0A). A COA is essentially a promise from the person who sold it to you that the piece is what they said it was when you bought it. It actually has very little bearing to the authenticity of the work. There are some laws about COAs in California and other areas.

This list of appraisers may have an appraiser/dealer who is willing to check out the piece and issue a COA for you . The thing is that the COA puts responsibility on the issuing person or organization to back that piece, so there is really no incentive to issue a COA to a piece they have nothing to do with.

Pieces are sold all the time without COAs. The real assurance comes from comparing the piece to reputable catalog raisonnes for that artist, and having a trusted fine art dealer sell it for you.

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University