Fine Art/Dali Dreams of Christopher Columbus

Question
I have a limited edition of the above Litho, 142 of 300, signed and Certificate of Authenticity, is this valuable

Answer
Dear Alex,

Thank you for your question. I am not sure to which image you are referring with the title 'Dali Dreams of Christopher Columbus'.  Generally speaking, a signed, limited edition lithograph by Salvador Dali would be reasonably valuable, with value varying widely depending on a number of factors.  The problem, however, is that Dali's graphics can be a very sticky subject due to the proliferation of fake images and signatures on the market.  I understand you have a certificate of authenticity for your lithograph, but even these can be forged.  

As I said, I do not know for sure which image you are referring to with the given title. In 1979, Dali did create a hand-signed work called 'Christopher Columbus Discovers America'; Columbus appears dressed in red and by himself.  From your description, however, I suspect you may have a lithograph based one the oil painting 'The Discovery of America by Christopher Columbus' #1958-59, Salvador Dali Museum, St. Petersburg, FL#, which is sometimes incorrectly known as 'Dream of Christopher Columbus'.  This lithograph has been the subject of several other allexperts questions, and the general news is, unfortunately, not good.  Firstly, I cannot find any information regarding an edition of 300.  Indeed, my concerns are heightened in that someone else wrote in to allexperts a couple years ago saying that he had a pencil-signed limited edition of 'The Discovery of America by Christopher Columbus' with an edition of 990, and someone else wrote in about an edition of 250. With diverse edition sizes, I am fearing you probably have a lithograph that is known as an 'after' and which Dali had no hand in producing or signing.  

The only exception might be the following: According to Albert Field's Official Catalogue of Dali's Graphic Works, about 1,990 lithographs were produced in 1970 based on the painting 'Christopher Columbus Discovers America'.  These were signed by Dali and sold at the Dali Museum in Cleveland.  However, I do not believe they were numbered, and they should not have been numbered only up to 500.  

I'm sorry not to have better news for you.  If you want to have the image examined by a true authenticator #I am neither an authenticator nor an appraiser#, I would recommend contacting the Salvador Dali Society at Dali.com.

Good luck,
Elliott

Elliott H. King