Fine Art/Establishing Artist

Question
My grandmother was a student along with HC Westermann and Rudolph Weisenborn (I have 3 of their oils) I also have newspaper articles of her works shown along with theirs at several shows in Chicago dating 1940 and on.   I have approx. 300 or more peices of art.  How would I attempt to establish her work for showings and sale?

Answer
These two American modernists you mention intersect in Chicago, Illinois, so I am hopeful you may be from that area, or the mid-west.  If so, I'd encourage you to speak to either David Lusenhop or Valerie Carberry, two gallery owners in Chicago.  Assemble a half dozen hi-resolution photos of your grandmother's works along with the newspaper clippings and full story as you know it, and see what they think.  Better still, go see them with a few of your grandmother's best pieces.  They might wish to purchase the full estate, or perhaps assemble a show of a few dozen pieces to test the waters.  I don't know these galleries, but most owners are flexible and interested in helping you "move the merchandise" as it were. If they are not interested, they can undoubtedly steer you in another direction.

Of the two, Westermann brings far more.  Weisenborn predated Westermann by a decade or so, but brought a freewheeling cubist style to Chicago.  Westermann is aligned with the Chicago Imagists, a group that mixed this modern cubism with emerging pop/comic book illustration art, with a droll/surreal style.  

I like the work of these artists, but I have chosen to focus on earlier American landscapes.  My website is at www.cartwrightfineart.com and my email address is there.  You can send me a shot or two of your grandmother's work, but it would only satisfy my curiosity.  Best for you to consult with gallery owners who specialize in American modern art of this period.  

300 pieces?  All paintings?  Your grandmother was certainly prolific!  

Best of luck,
Stu

Stuart Cartwright