Fine Art/Moran Painting

I am a complete art moron.  I found a watercolor painting that may be valuable.  It is of blue bonnet parrots by artist Moran.  The words blue bonnet parrot and the signatures are in pencil.  The two signatures are both Moran but one is different than the other.  I live in a rural area in WV and need to know where if anywhere I can have it appraised or sell it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best place to start is with a pro.  Here are two in West Virginia.  Show them your piece.  If it is Thomas Moran, you may have something.  

You don't need to be bashful communicating with dealers or auction houses.  You do need to be prepared.  Have a picture of the front side, the backside, and a closeup shot of the signature.  If you can carry the piece to a dealer, even better.  You'll want the measurements of the picture.  How was the painting obtained?  Any history to it?  (called 'provenance')   What condition is it in?  On paper?  Any waterstains?  

Good luck,

Bunker Hill Antiques Associates
144 Runnymeade Road
Martinsburg, WV  25403

Centaur Arts & Framing
112 E. Main St.
Harrisville, WV  26362

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration