Fine Art/Oil Painting by Sam Berger

Question
I have an oil paiting by an artist named Sam Berger.  It has what looks like a german stamp on the back with the name Viktoria Maltuch.  The paiting looks like it is suppose to be Venice.  I know that my grandparents have had it for 40 years, but my grandmother always collected antiques.. Please help me find more information on this paiting and about the painter.  What it could possibly be worth.  The painting is about 2Ft by 3ft.  I live in Michigan, but I can't find anything in this area.  Thank you very much for your help.  Jeri

Answer
Jeri,
Viktoria Maltuch is a brand name canvas manufactured in Germany.

A quick search turns up no "Sam Berger" as a listed fine artist.  Given the subject, this could possibly have been a "tourist oil".  

You probably have an artwork that is not worth a lot.  eBay would be a good place to search for a comparable item, or to sell the one you have.  

Of course, the value in something of this nature does not always equate to what it fetches in monetary terms.  If it brings you closer to your grandparents, or you enjoy the painting...hang it somewhere that you might gaze upon it every day.  

Best,
Stu

Stuart Cartwright