Fine Art/Zabateri painting

Question
I purchased my house 9 years ago and I found a nice last super painting in the attic. I kept the painting and hung it in my office. Just for fun I typed in the name of the artist and I found that Zabeteri was quite an interesting artist. It is framed and on the back it has a ticket with what I believe to be an auction number. The name of the Auction house is "Reliable" in New Jersey. You can tell that the painting is very old but it is in good shape. I'm not sure what to make of this painting do you have any advice? I am in the Cincinnati area and I read that the Cincinnati art Museum does not have an appraiser on site.

Answer
Hello, Reliable made reproductions of famous paintings.

Are you sure this is an original painting?

As you have probably discovered, there are pages of prints for sale on the internet by H. Zabateri. They are primarily of religious themes, such as his well known image of "The Last Supper" and another of the "Sacred Heart of Jesus". However, as you also discovered, there is absolutely no information on who H. Zabateri was, or where he was from.

As with many artists of the era, Zabateri was a pseudonym, another name by which an artist signed his work. H. Zabateri was also known as Hans Zatzka; an Austrian who was born in Vienna in 1859 and died somewhere around 1945.

It appears Hans Zatzka used the pseudonym of H. Zabateri for his more Christian religious works, (though there are some allegorical/mythological images with the Zabateri signature). Zatzka was known for his allegorical subjects, genre scenes, and figures. According to online biographies; he spent many years dedicating his painting to the churches and other known establishments of Austria.

He was the student of the Academy of Fine Arts of Vienna from 1877 to 1882. While he decorated numerous churches of Vienna, Mayerling, Olmutz and Innsbruck, he was most widely known for his passionate images depicting women, fairies and mythological subjects.

Aware of the popularity of his women, Zatzka combined his love of painting women into great paintings which were in turn reproduced into postcards. He produced a vast amount of postcards during his time.

Hans Zatzka's original work sells for thousands of dollars (U.S.), where as no original Zabateri work has ever shown up at a major auction house. It is possible that the Zabateri originals are being listed at auction as Zatzka's; but this is very difficult to research.

My suggestion is you take your painting to a museum; possibly you are close to Muzeul National de Arta Cluj? If you can locate an art dealer in your area, they may be of assistance as well.

Hans Zatzka, in addition to Zabateri; also painted under the pseudonym names of P. Ronsard and J. Bernard.  

Joseph B. Laskowski