Fine Art/lithographs

Hi Dan, I'm interested in purchasing a Chagall lithograph for my wife.  I've
been trying to understand the differences between all of them and it seems
like there are lithographs that are signed by the artist, ones that are limited
edition prints with the copy of a signature and ones that are just straight
prints.  Because the original signed lithographs are out of my price range, I've
been looking into "limited edition" lithographs that have a facsimile of the
artists' signature.  This is where the confusion sets in- I don't quite
understand what I need to look for as far as authenticity is concerned.  Should
these limited edition lithographs come with a certificate of authenticity and is
that certificate distributed by some governing institution?  I've seen these
lithographs sell as low as $40 and ones that are as much as $400 but there
doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason for the price discrepancy.  I would
rather pay $400 for something that is as real as it gets to the original but I
don't know what to look for.  Also, should these lithographs be printed on a
certain type of paper?  I hope you can help me clarify these issues.  Thank
you very much in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Your assumptions are correct. There is no such thing as an "AFFORDABLE" authentic Chagall. Facsimile means "copy". Think of this type of art as decorative. If your going to buy decorative art, you might as well have a nice poster framed.

There are authentic hand signed works and some unsigned works taken from print books, but none are in the low price range you mentioned.

You might want to go after one of the old Chagall poster books, as they are affordable and will accrue value.

If you want info on the poster books, email a request to:

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.