Fine Art/old pictures

I have 2 old pictures in antique frames,1 is the boy with the rabbit by sir henry raeburn and also on the back is a label which says,this picture was presented by raeburn at the royal academy in 1821 as his diploma work.It is in reality a portrait of henry raeburn ingglis,son of the artist stepdaughter,miss ....who married captain inglis.R.N.Raeburn was known as the scottish reynolds.He died in 1823,excatly one hundred years after the english painter was born.They are thus linked by yet another this year of grace 1923

ANSWER: Here is the type of answer other experts here have written in the past:

There were many releases of this print by various printers and they are still being released today as giclees on canvas. Most of the vintage prints of this image were done in the 1920ís. Sir Henry painted the original oil on canvas in 1814 and did not release it as a print in his lifetime. There are many listed on EBay, including vintage, and the average price at this time is $10. Unfortunately these prints are in abundance and do not currently command a decent price. Often I have seen the print in antique frames that are worth much more than the print.

I am a Dali art consultant, so I rely on other experts for your type of question.

QUESTION: How do i tell if it is a print or oils i think it is the latter?

Look at various parts of the image using a loop/loup or magnifying glass. Look for printed dots or signs that it is printed. If you have an original, you should be able to see brush strokes. Some artists paint in a flat style/no brush stokes. Some prints are hand embellished giving the impression it is an original painting.

You might need to have it examined.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.