Fine Art/Could this painting be from Karl Kaufmann?

Girl on Board
Girl on Board  
Hi Joseph,

I purchased this painting a little while ago. It is an oil on timber that was purchased by a family over 100 years ago in Egypt. The signature (I believe) is J.Rollin.
The question is, could this be from Karl Kaufmann (using J.Rollin as a pseudonym)? If you doubt it, could you tell me if he ever painted portraits of this nature and if he did, what an example would be as I cannot find information on him doing so?

Kind Regards,

Peter, after looking at Karl Kaufmann's work I would have to say no. I am not familiar enough to say that he did not use a pseudonym. But all I can tell you is that this does not look like Kaufmann's work. Kaufmann did not paint portraits like this style.

Joseph B. Laskowski

I have been researching,buying, collecting, dealing, and appraising 19th and 20th Century American Art (1850-1950) for the past 15 years. Ask me anything about this topic. I am a member of the Pennsylvania Antiques Appraisers Association.

Experienced in American Art from the period 1850-1950. This Includes Impressionism, Regionalism, Early American Modernism, Hudson River School, WPA. I have 15 years researching, collecting, dealing, and appraising in this field. Ran a Fine Art gallery for 3 years in Phoenixville, Pa. that focused on American and European art from the 1800's to contemporary works. Rare books focused on fine art monographs and catalogue raisonne.

Pennsylvania Antique Appraisers Association
American Society of Appraisers (Candidate)

Brimfield Rush, a book written by Bob Wyss of the University of Connecticut. It details the escapades, trials and travails of myself, my ex, and other individuals who have been to Brimfield , Mass. to tame the largest flea market in North America. Maybe even the world.

American Society of Appraisers
BA from Lenoir-Rhyne University in North Carolina
Appraisal Studies at George Washington University