Fine Art/Is this a real Chagall lithograph?

Question
I saw this online. Not sure whether it is real or not. Can you provide me with additional information on it -- possibly even its name.

http://www.shopgoodwill.org/viewitem.asp?ItemID=4956271

Can you also tell me what an average appraisal would run me on a Chagall painting (or to have it appraised to see if it one is authentic (not the one above) with a certificate of authenticity? Thanks again.

Answer
Dear Christian,

I looked at the print as you requested. The H.C. stands for Hors Commerce; which means it was probably the publisher's copy. I am not familiar with the image. Chagall did many with lovers and bouquets. I checked the catalog on his lithographs, but I could not find it. I probably just missed it. I cannot tell you if it is original without seeing it in person. I would contact the seller and ask more questions. What is the name and qualifications of the person and the name of the gallery that authenticated it? Could you talk to the gallery directly? Does it have paperwork? The signature looks right, but Chagall is one of the top artists for forgeries.

The cost of authenticating a Chagall painting would be based on how much provenance and documentation the painting has. It is difficult to estimate without detais, but I would say a minimum $1500-2500. I would contact the major auction houses such as Sothebys and Christies and ask their Modern Masters specialist who they would accept as a professional authentication. If the painting can be found in former auction catalogs and/or the ownership can be verified; the cost will be worth the effort. Original Chagall paintings are in the high six figure to 7 figure price range.

Best regards,
Dolly  

Dolly D Headley