Fine Art/Dali Lithographs - Pater Noster

Question
Hello Elliott,
Can you tell me anything about the Pater Noster.  I am interested in the lithographs and would like to know more about the whole book, for example how many prints were done originally (1966), who by, and what languages the text was written in. Also, how rare are the lithographs and what kind of price they fetch.
Many thanks
Lisa

Answer
Dear Lisa,

Thank you for your question.  Your inquiry about Pater Noster turned out to be more difficult to answer than I expected! Normally all Dali's graphic works are included in Albert Field's catalogue, 'The Complete Graphic Works of Salvador Dali', but Pater Noster is not included for some reason. I also noted that if you search allexperts for Dali and Pater Noster, a few others have asked about it as well, and information has been very hard to obtain.

I inquired with some colleagues who are much more competent than I when it comes to Dali's graphics.  Pater Noster was printed originally by Rizzoli (Milan). There are two types of books from the original 1966 edition: The first is an edition numbered 1-300 and covered in red leather.  This edition includes signed prints (probably in blue pen), each of which represents a part of the Pater Noster prayer.  Relying on information provided by sellers on abebooks.com, the suite is relatively large in scale -- 41 x 34 cm. -- and contains nine colour plates (some say eight, and I'm not sure what is correct). The text is the Pater Noster -- literally Latin for 'Our Father' and known more commonly as The Lord's Prayer.  In Dali's suite, the text is (apparently) printed in Latin, Italian, English, French, Russian, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, German, and Japanese.  I do not have information for pricing of the signed edition.  There is also an unsigned edition in blue silk, numbered 301-1200. Both have a transparent cover.  The unsigned 1966 edition is being sold on abebooks for between $1000 and $2800.

There have been subsequent editions of Pater Noster published as well.  In 1971, Rizzoli published a second edition of the 1966 version in blue silk with the illustrations printed on heavy paper (without signatures). Another edition was published by Magda Helikon in c.1991; here, the prints were on regular paper rather than heavy printing paper.  Presently on abebooks.com, this 1991 edition costs between $287 and $417.  Later, c.1992, Editorial Casariego published a limited edition of the book, though I do not know how many copies were produced. These prints look very similar to the originals and are on heavy paper, but the margins are cut.

Obviously all these considerations must be taken into account in determining value, and I am neither an authenticator nor an appraiser myself.  If you are interested in selling your works, you may need to have them authenticated.  I often suggest contacting Frank Hunter at the Dali Archives in New York or Bernard Ewell in New Mexico.  You may also wish to contact The Salvador Dali Society, which deals in works by Dali.  Normally I am able to get some sense of current market price for graphics from Bruce Hochman's 'Print Price Guide to the Graphic Works of Salvador Dali', but as with Albert Field's catalogue, the Pater Noster series is not included in the price guide.  Consequently, I'm afraid I cannot help you with rarity or the prices such pieces might fetch.  I have seen some editions on ebay, but again, I don't recall the prices they brought nor the editions in question.  Nonetheless, I hope this information is useful, and I will follow up if I get any further details.

Kind regards,
Elliott

Elliott H. King