Fine Art/Identification

Question
????
????  
My son loves this painting...he has a print on his wall...see photo.I would like to get him a really nice print and maybe book on the artist....but I do not know wh9o it is. I thiught it might be Ernst or Bosch but it is not.

Answer
Dear Diana,

Thank you for your e-mail.  Your instincts were correct: It is by Max Ernst.  It is Ernst's Temptation of Saint Anthony from 1945, though I *think* the image in the painting you sent me is reversed.  

The painting was done for a competition in January 1946 called the Bel Ami International Competition: 12 artists were asked to create a painting based on the temptation of Saint Anthony.  Other participating artists included Salvador Dali, Dorothea Tanning, and Ivan Albright.  The painting had to be a 36” x 48” unframed work on the theme of the temptation of St. Anthony, the story of the 3rd-century saint who virtuously gave away his family’s fortune, thereby provoking the ire of the Devil who tempted him over the course of several years with all manner of vice.   The winning painting, selected by Alfred H. Barr, Jr., Marcel Duchamp and Sidney Janis, was to be included in a forthcoming film, The Private Affairs of Bel Ami, and its artist received a cash prize of $3000 (all others received $500 each for participating).  Ernst was named the winner of the competition, and the painting is now in the Wilhelm-Lehmbruck-Museum in Duisburg, Germany.

Thanks again for your question!

All best,
Elliott  

Elliott H. King