Fine Art/Provenance of an Original Oil Painting

Question
I bought an original oil painting from an artist. Paid cash , and not thinking
that I would need a receipt later, didn't get one. This artist's pieces are sold
on four web sites and on his own personal site. He is , obviously
contemporary and alive. There are many examples of his distinctive style
available to the public.  

The piece is signed recto , and titled and signed verso w/ indelible marking
pen .

I have a buyer for the work , but he is looking for a " certificate of
authenticity" . I told him the double signature is proof of the origin of the
piece and since I am the first owner  . my sales receipt to him would be the
next step in the line of provenance.

Am I correct , or is more documentation necessary ?

I hope you can help. I would appreciate it. Thanks for considering my
question. Sincerely , John.

Answer
It seems that would be enough. If he insists on a certificate, you might be able to get the artist to create a document for you?

If you have an art authenticator do it, they will spend a number of hours doing research and charge fees accordingly.

Dan

Dan Twyman