Fine Art/Thomas Moran

Question
Hi, is it possible to clean a lithograph? We have a T Moran and it has a water stain and it's also dirty.
Thank you!

Answer
Dear Mr Moran,

Thank you for your question.  It is possible to 'clean' a lithograph in some circumstances, though I do not believe there is anything you can or should do yourself without seeking professional advice.  Consider contacting a professional art conservator -- your local art museum can likely recommend someone who specialises in restoring works on paper.  I know that works on paper are quite fragile and a water stain may be impossible to remove completely, though conservators are capable of amazing things so it is worth inquiring.  Note that conservation is not inexpensive, so you will have to weigh the cost of restoration against the value of the work of art in question.  Regardless, please don't attempt any cleaning yourself, as there is a strong likelihood that you will exacerbate the problem or cause irreversible damage.

Good luck,
Elliott

Elliott H. King