Fine Art/W. Unger Engraving of Franz Snyders

I'm trying to find some info on Unger's engraving: "Hunting the Wild Boar." Only
reference I can find is at It doesn't appear
to be an exact replica of a Synders painting. When was it made? How do you tell
if you have an old, original engraving? What is the appearance of the paper, the
ink, etc.? Thanks!

Dear Lori,

I cannot fully answer your questions so I will give you what I can. Wilhelm Unger (1837-1932), was known for his engraved reproductions of other artists' original paintings. He would often change the scene by adding his own interpretation.

Though I cannot find information the exact engraving you are referring to, your print was probably created sometime around the turn of the century. Artists used different papers and inks and therefore an original engraving is not always based on the materials. Check your print for plate marks and make sure it is not a modern offset reproduction by viewing with a high magnification jeweler's loupe. It should have solid lines without a dot pattern.

His work has just recently turning up at auction and most of the images sell for under $100. The hunting scenes would be at the upper end of collecting. You can do a search on eBay and find examples of his original engravings.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.