Fine Art/acquisition

Question
I am writing a novel and need info on how art is obtained by galleries and/or museums. Is there a specific person responsible or an industry standard of acquisition procedures, ie.logging the art piece to/from, inventory and tracking details? How are paintings transported if not rolled in tubes?

Answer
Dear Kathy,

Every museum and gallery has their own method of acquisition and there is not an industry standard. Valuable pieces are usually crated in wood, (if framed), and shipped using a reputable professional fine art shipping company. The charges depend on the piece being shipped as it is insured for the value of the art.

The tracking details are agreed upon by the shipper, the insurance company and shipping company. The insurance company will often set the requirements as they are the guarantors that the art that was shipped is the same art that is delivered.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley