Fine Art/acquisition

I am writing a novel and need info on how art is obtained by galleries and/or museums. Is there a specific person responsible or an industry standard of acquisition procedures, ie.logging the art piece to/from, inventory and tracking details? How are paintings transported if not rolled in tubes?

Dear Kathy,

Every museum and gallery has their own method of acquisition and there is not an industry standard. Valuable pieces are usually crated in wood, (if framed), and shipped using a reputable professional fine art shipping company. The charges depend on the piece being shipped as it is insured for the value of the art.

The tracking details are agreed upon by the shipper, the insurance company and shipping company. The insurance company will often set the requirements as they are the guarantors that the art that was shipped is the same art that is delivered.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.