Fine Art/A painting by Madamoiselle Irene

Question
QUESTION: Hello.  I would like to know how do you distinguish a print, from that of the original painting.  I have had a picture of this painting in my home for maybe 45 years.  I was not aware of the name of the painting until just a few moments ago.  I am a bit intrigued as there was some dust on the painting and I attempted to wipe it off, with a damp cloth , assuming it was just a print.  I  was very surprised to notice that the sponge actually wiped a bit of the paint off.  Just a bit.  I did not know that the painting was  a Renoir.  There is a type of signature at the top right  hand of the painting.  Thankyou for any information which you might have on the originality of the work.

ANSWER: Your comments are a bit confusing:

"A painting by Madamoiselle Irene"

"I did not know that the painting was  a Renoir."

QUESTION: My apologies about my confusing question .  I really meant to say a painting done by Renoir,  entitled Madamoiselle Irene. The signature  or name RENOIR  is at the top right hand corner of the painting.  I just wanted to know if  you could assist with any information that could tell me how to distinguish an original from a print, whether it be a work of art by  Renoir.  Thankyou.

Answer
Original works have brush strokes and are signed in paint. Limited edition works have dots or pixels and are signed in pencil in most cases. There are prints with varnish brused on to make them look like paintings. These days Giclees are confusing things because they are printed on canvas.

Dan

Dan Twyman