Fine Art/here is a pik

Question
QUESTION: a long time ago i tore a picture from a book and recently
found it. its a painting of a man who i think is Adam tied
to a rock with a snake (devil) on a tree looking at a scared
adam....there are mountains in the background and its on a
cliff sort of...main focus is man and snake...do you know
this painting?

ANSWER: Dear Jacob,

Thank you for your question.  I'm hesitant to 'answer' as this is really outside my specified subject area (Salvador Dali), but I'll give it a shot.
It is impossible to know the work to which you refer without seeing an image.  That said, your description does not sound like a traditional rendering of Adam in the Garden of Eden, specifically because you note that Adam is tied to a rock.  I can't think of any reason for Adam to be tied to a rock near the Tree of Knowledge.  Again, I can't say anything specific without looking at the work -- and even then it might be difficult --, but I speculate that perhaps you have an image of Prometheus. In Greek mythology, Prometheus stole fire from Zeus and gave it to humankind.  Zeus punished him by having him bound to a rock on the side of a cliff; every day, a great bird -- in some cases an eagle or a vulture -- would torture him by eating his liver, and every night his liver would grow back, only to be eaten again the next day. I'm wondering if perhaps the figure bound to a rock on a cliff is Prometheus, and the snake you describe is actually a bird -- perhaps the long neck of a vulture? This was a very popular subject for painters. Take a look in google images for Prometheus and see if anything matches.  Alternatively, if you'd like to post an image, I may be able to give you further information.

Kind regards,
Elliott

painting in question
painting in question  
QUESTION: okay so i took a picture of this picture...the Prometheus was
close but not it....its a snake no doubt...thanks for your
help i hope this can assist

Answer
Dear Jacob,

Thanks for following up!  You're right, that is a snake: It's a depiction of the Norse God, Loki.  Not unlike the story of Prometheus, Loki, too, is punished by the gods: He was bound to a rock with the entrails of one of his sons. A serpent was positioned above him. The serpent dripped venom onto him, which was usually caught in a bowl by his wife, Sigyn; however, when Sigyn had to empty the bowl, the venom would fall on Loki, and it was very painful.  I don't know the artist who made this painting, unfortunately, but I did a google images search for Loki and on the third page or so found the same image:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://home.earthlink.net/~norsemyths/ima

This should give you a good start in finding out the artist.

Good luck!
Best,
Elliott

Elliott H. King