Fine Art/Frank Howell monotype

Question
Turquoise Thunderbird
Turquoise Thunderbird  
 This is not so much a question as to value of this Frank Howell monotype named Turquoise Thunderbird, as I have already received an informal  appraisal, (11,000.00)  from the Frank Howell gallery based on pictures and information I submitted to them.  My question is......and not sure how to put this without any disrespect  to the appraiser,  who owns the gallery,  but would it not be in a gallery owners best interest to put a high appraisal value to a piece, when that very piece is by the artist they specialize in??  It just seems like an awfully high appraisal for a piece that could be picked up for less than 500 dollars.   Thanks for your time,  Jim

Answer
Dear Jim,

Frank Howell lithographs bring in the $3000-$5000 range when purchased new from the gallery.  Monotypes are not prints in the general sense, in that they are not multiples, they are one of a kind works of art produced by painting an image on a plate which is then transferred to a support such as paper or less often, canvas.  Monotypes are individualized works that are not reproduced multiple times.  Therefore, a monotype would be worth significantly more than a lithograph, all other marketable aspects of the work being equal.

It may be possible to purchase a Howell litho at auction for the price your quote of $500, but even that price would be considered a bargain for Howell's prints.

On the other hand, you are right to be concerned about an appraisal from a gallery that handles the work of the artist.  This is not considered an "arms length" appraisal, in that the seller has an interest in the price assigned to the work.  This is not to say that many galleries do not provide accurate appraisals.

I would have to conduct significant research that exceeds the parameters of this site in order to arrive at an appraised value that would be meaningful for your specific work.

If you need your work appraised for a formal purpose, such as insurance, you may want to consider contracting with a professional independent appraiser for this service.  However, from the limited research I have conducted on your behalf, I do feel your work would be legitimately appraised for insurance replacement value much closer to the value assigned by the gallery than the $500 mentioned in your question.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best,
Cindy Charleston Rosenberg, ISA CAPP
www.artappraisalfirm.com

Cindy Charleston-Rosenberg