Fine Art/Info on this painter Cannon

done by Cannon
done by Cannon  
QUESTION: A friend of mine ask me if i could get any information on the painter and i told him I would try He sent me these photos of the painting and the signature So any help from you would be greatly appreciated so I could pass the findings along to him

ANSWER: Dear George,

Thank you for writing.  There are so many painters named Cannon that it would be hard to pinpoint your artist without looking at a full photograph of the painting.  Even then, it may not be possible to identify your artist.  However, if you can send a full image, I will try to identify the artist for you.

Cindy Charleston Rosenberg, ISA CAPP

As per your answer,I am sending you the full picture of the painting.
Maybe it will help you to better identify the painter in question.
I want to thank you for all your help so far
Best regards

Walter Cannon
Walter Cannon  
Dear George,

The photograph was a big help.  I believe your artist is Walter Cannon.  I've attached a photograph of another painting by Cannon that was sold at auction in 2008 for $1900.  The painting that sold was a watercolor and measured 14.5"  x 21".   The painting was estimated to sell for much less and this is the only auction record available for the artist.  Little else is known about him, except that he was painting around the turn of the 20th Century. It appears from your photograph that your painting is executed in oil.  Oil paintings in general bring more money on the market than watercolors, all other factors being equal.  I cannot give you a accurate idea of the value of your work without a personal inspection and significantly more research, but I hope that this information is helpful.

All the best,
Cindy Charleston Rosenberg, ISA CAPP

Cindy Charleston-Rosenberg

Our firm provides professional written Art Appraisal Services for formal functions such as donation, estate tax estimation, or insurance. Within the parameters of this site we are happy to answer general questions about art. Examples of such questions would be: "What does the "e.a." on my print mean?", "What does a fraction on the bottom of the image stand for (example 10/200)", or "How do I know if a certificate of authenticy is reliable". However, we regret that we are not able to provide the value of specific works without engagement. Clients who would like to engage us to advise them about the value of specific works of art are invited to visit our website at The "fees" link provides specific directions for how to obtain an informal evaluation, or a formal written report, depending on your specific needs. We are an independent art appraisal company and therefore we also cannot help clients who are looking for a dealer or broker to sell their artwork.

President and Founder: Art Appraisal Firm, LLC Founding Partner and Fine Art Consultant: The Appraisal Firm of Pennsylvania Art Appraisal Consultant to: Museums, Attorneys, Financial Planners, Trust Companies, Historical Societies, Prominent Auction Houses, and Galleries. Contributing Feature Writer for Art Matters magazine, covering fine art, auctions, and antiques. Featured Guest Speaker: Building a Fine Art Collection, Ten Elements in the Appraisal of Fine Art. Proprietor: The Charleston Galleries located in Chestnut Hill, Malvern and Wayne, Pennsylvania; and Lambertville, New Jersey. Specializing in estate paintings and sculpture, 1991-2001

Certified Member in good standing: International Society of Appraisers (ISA). Business Partner Sponsor: Philadelphia Museum of Art; Woodmere Art Museum. General Memberships: The James A. Michener Art Museum, Doylestown and New Hope; The Philadelphia Sketch Club; The Chestnut Hill and Cheltenham Historical Societies; Glenside Chamber of Commerce. Volunteer Activities: Group Facilitator, Safe Harbor Children’s Bereavement Program, Interfaith Houses for Humanity Project.

Art Matters Magazine

B.A., Human Services, Antioch College, 1979 Graduate Studio Courses: Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, 1989-1991 Graduate Studio Courses: University of the Arts, 1989-91 Continuing Education: Appraisal Theory Changes and IRS Standards Changes: ISA, 2007 New IRS Tax Laws: ISA, 2007 Connoisseurship Seminar: ISA, 2007 Art History in Context: The Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2006 Philadelphia Library Symposium, Art and Religion, 2005 Art History Courses: The Impressionists of New Hope: The James A. Michener Art Museum, Doylestown, PA. 2005 Masterpieces in Context: The Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2004 American Indian Painting, ISA, 2001 Art Conservation Panel, ISA, 2001 Appraisal of Prints, ISA, 2001

Completion of the experience, continuing education, peer review, report writing, and qualifying examination requirements for the ISA Certification to Appraise Fine Art (CAPP) designation under the auspices of the University of Maryland. The CAPP (Certified Member) distinction is the highest level of recognition ISA can bestow. Certified ISA members must recertify every five years by demonstrating continued professional development in their specialty areas and must pass a recertification exam. Successful completion of coursework and required examination in the ISA Appraiser as Expert Witness Course.