Fine Art/Oil worth expert care?

Question
Name not known
Name not known  
Hello,

I just bought an oil on canvas painting - that I like, but my husband thinks looks too dingy and dirty.  I didn't pay a lot for it, but figure even if the painting is worthless, the frame is nice!  Anyway, If it is worthless, I'll have a go at cleaning it myself, but would hate to ruin something.  There is a signiture of H Wood on it, and it measures 29x19 inches.  

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you very much.

Traci

Answer
Dear Traci,

Thank you for your question.  From your photo, the painting honestly doesn't look to be in bad shape. I am not familiar with an 'H Wood', but I would in any case recommend having a professional take a look at the painting rather than having a go at cleaning it yourself.  When professional conservators clean paintings, they use various chemicals and solvents that won't damage the work; although I can appreciate the temptation to try some oils or other household products (one historical remedy is rubbing a potato on a painting, which I don't recommend either!), there is really nothing you can do to clean the work yourself that won't result in some level of damage.  That said, professional conservators are quite expensive, so the real question is whether the painting is worth that expense. An honest conservator will tell you if treatment is more costly than the work is worth.  As far as finding a conservator, you might ask your local museum whom they would recommend.  I believe you indicated you are in the UK: You can look at the membership of the British Association of Paintings Conservators-Restorers (http://www.bapcr.org.uk/) and see if that yields some contacts for you. Some universities also have conservation programmes -- the Courtauld Institute of Art, for example --, and they can possibly recommend a restorer and/or tell you more about your painting.  In the end, I can't say whether the painting will be worth the expense, but I would err on the side of further investigation before trying anything yourself.  

Good luck!
Elliott

Elliott H. King