Fine Art/P. Forster - Autumn Forest Painting

I obtained this painting from a local consignment shop. It is signed by a "Forster or Furster". A note with it says that P. Forster was born in Salzburg, Austria in 1931. He attended The Industrial School of Arts and Graphics and then attended the Viennese Academy of Fine Arts. It is an oil painting on canvas. The frame says Anco Bilt 24/30 stamped on it and it is a frame of 30 x 36 inches. The note also says that is was imported from Europe and custom framed in the USA (exclusively for Sears). I have tried internet searches for this artist and the only find was on for a P. Forster painting that sold in the early 1990's but was dated to 1848 which conflicts with the information accompanying this piece, (if this information is at all true). I cannot find any other information in regards to a P. Forster.

I live in Grandview, Missouri.

I have attached a photo. Any information or direction you can give will be greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance for your time and effort in assisting me.

Thank you.

Bruce Stahly

I never like when a painting is signed only with a last name. A recognized artist almost always signs with a full name, often including a middle name.  Or at least initials.  I do not follow European art at all, but cannot find any record of a P. Forster/Furster from Austria.  Percy Forster was a mid-nineteenth century British painter.  

The Sears connection is of interest.  You may recall Vincent Price, the master of macabre stories in the early days of broadcast TV.  He was also quite an art enthusiast, and launched a program with Sears Roebuck and Company to mass market original art to an emerging middlebrow culture in post-war America.  Thousands of artworks sold, including works from both unknowns and top artists.  This work may have passed through the Sears catalog!

As to the value of your artwork...I would surmise it worth precisely what you paid for it at the consignment shop.  If you like it, hang it in a place you can see it every day.  Enjoy it!

For local assistance, perhaps try:
Morning Glory Antiques, Inc.
1702 W. 45th Street
Kansas City, MO  64111

Good luck!

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration