Fine Art/Salvador Dali original etching?

QUESTION: I am considering purchasing a lithograph, the seller says is an original Salvador Dali. The title is Giclee "Dali's Inferno". It is numbered in pencil, under the etching,150/500 by Levine and Levine printers and a hand signature on the bottom right side. It also has an authenticity certificate with it issued by Fine Art Wholesalers, Florida. The signature is scratchy and almost illegible with sharp points to the "D". Does this sound like a fake? I was unable to attach images for some reason

ANSWER: A Giclee is a modern day digital scan. Dali had nothing to do with Giclees as the process was invented after Dali's death. Sounds like decorative art, not investment art. If you want to see the older version of the piece you are looking at, I can mail you a free catalog with over 700 Salvador Dali images. Purchasing a work by Salvador Dali requires very specific homework on your part. If you want assistance in collecting Dali works, contact me at: 888-888-DALI Ext. 204 or ask for Dan.

QUESTION: Thank you for your answer. Now I have found several signed and numbered pieces. These come from Gilders Art Auctions in London
1st - colour (with dry point) etching with Aquiant on Vellum Arches paper "Helena and the Trojan Horse" 1974, 178/250
2nd - "The Sick Deer" from Le Bestiare de la Fontane Dalinise 1974 colour drypoint etching with Pochoir on Arches paper 76 x 56cm paper size 136/250
3rd - "The Oak and the Reed" 1974 also colour dry point etching with Ponchoir on Arches paper 76 x 56cm paper size.136/250
Each of these bear the Dali signature the lower right margin in pencil and are numbered in the lower left margin in pencil. Are these likely to be genuine, or not?

ANSWER: If your looking at Dali on the internet, you are taking a big risk as there are many fakes.

We should talk.  I have a catalog I can mail to you, much safer way to go.

If interested, please call me at: 888-888-DALI  Ext. 204

QUESTION: Yes, please send the catalogue. I am in Australia so it may be difficult to call you. Please send it to: Melanie Kennedy
         149 Phillipson Street,
         Wangaratta, Vic. 3677
Is there another artist (Picasso?)whose art is safer to purchase?  We do not have much in the way of originals in Australia, so I am a bit restricted to purchasing from the internet. I specifically wanted Dali because he is my son's favourite and it was to be a gift for his 21st birthday in Feb 2010, so I have a bit of time and will consider other artists.

You should be careful and not post your address on public websites.

The safest way to purchase art is to work with those that follow correct proceedures with authenticity and appraisal.  We use outside experts for all our works. In house paperwork is a red flag, never accept it.

In the future, send all messages to:

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.