Fine Art/Stamped Louis Icart Signature

Question
All Experts has had similar questions regarding this subject before . In order to prevent reinventing the wheel , I will summarize the original Q & A and then ask my question.

Q : I came across a huge stack of Louis Icart prints and they all have his signature on the lower right (looks like its printed the exact same way on every one).
A: The signatures look the same because in all likelihood they are a stamped signature.  Good luck.  He is one of my favorite artists.  Alan Klevit.   

My adjunct to this question is : Does the stamped signature add to , detract from , or have a neutral effect on the monetary value of the print? I have some hand signed and also one stamped signature piece.

Also , is Alan Klevit a contributor to All Experts anymore ?

Thanks for your time. JG

Answer
Dear JG,

You raise a question that is a common cause of confusion with prints and it is hard to give you a positive opinion without actually examining the work. From your description, it sounds as if the works you have where the signature appears to be stamped is a "restrike" and the signature is actually printed in the plate rather than stamped on.  If this is the case, these prints may be worth significantly less than your print where the artist has signed the work in pencil. However, there are also many forged Icart signatures on the market.  Is your signed work numbered?  Limited edition prints are often (not always) numbered, generally also in pencil outside the plate.  The number is commonly expressed as a fraction. 29/50 for example.  The bottom number represents the number of copies in a particular edition, the top number represent the "pull" or the actual number of your particular example.  So that the above fraction would mean that your edition is limited to 50 examples, and that your example was the 29th impression in that series.    

All other aspects being equal, if your pencil signed Icart signature is authentic, that work would likely be worth more to collectors than the restrikes signed in the plate only.

You may want to consider sending a good quality image to Swann Galleries in NYC.  They are a reputable auction company specializing in works on paper and would give you a pretty good idea of the current value of your signed work.

Best,
Cindy Charleston Rosenberg, ISA CAPP

Cindy Charleston-Rosenberg