Fine Art/W.L. Palmer Oil Painting

Question
W.L.Palmer
W.L.Palmer  
QUESTION: Hi,
I posted this quetion in the wrong forum yesterday and thought perhaps you might know the answer.

I am wondering if you know of an artist other than Walter Launt Palmer with these initials. This painting measures 8" x 9.5" on some type of canvas board. The sticker on the back dates it at 1875. The painting is on canvas and the canvas is attached to the board. The painting looks dirty, however, it isn't. it looks as though a dark finish was put over top of the painting as the colours around the edge are quite a bit brighter. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ANSWER: Dear Eirene,

Thank you for writing to the Art Appraisal Firm about your painting. I am not aware of any other W.L. Palmer artists that would relate to your painting.  There are a few painters with the last name of Palmer and the first initial W who are well-known, but your painting does not look like the work of those artists and the date of 1875 would be too early for their work.

Without inspecting the work personally, I cannot be sure, but it is possible that you have a painting where a signature was added by someone unscrupulous many years after the work was produced. The quality of your painting is not that of Walter L. Palmer, but it is a common subject associated with the artist. The signature is uncharactoristic.

I wish I had more positive information to share with you.

Best,
Cindy Charleston Rosenberg, ISA CAPP
www.artappraisalfirm.com

QUESTION: Thanks ever so much for your answer. I didn't think it was Walter Launt Palmer. You may be correct about the signature although it looks to be done in the same colour as the cabin roof. I rather enjoy this little painting. Thanks again.

Eirene

Answer
Dear Eirene,

You have the best attitude about art!  No matter how the market responds to a particular artist or a work of art, if you enjoy it, it will enhance your life and it is a treasure!

You have a sweet painting and I hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Best,
Cindy  

Cindy Charleston-Rosenberg