Fine Art/the angelus

Question
Could you tell me if millet's ever did any cross stitching? I have a piece of cloth that has cross stitching and on the bottom of it says old masters series after millet's the angelus, louvre,paris. On the right side it has some numbers it looks like No. 24/1. Thank you Valerie

Answer
Dear Valerie,

Thank you for your question!  The cloth you have is not by Millet himself.  Rather, it depicts the image of Jean Francois Millet's painting, titled 'The Angelus', painted between 1857 and 1859.  The painting used to be in the Louvre in Paris, but it now in the Musee d'Orsay, also in Paris.  It is a very famous painting, particularly in Europe; it was reproduced very frequently throughout the 20th century on pillows, tapestries, tea sets, etc.  The image depicts two peasant farmers stopping from their work at 6pm -- 'the hour of the Angelus' -- to pray.

Warm regards,
Elliott  

Elliott H. King