Fine Art/david lee print

Question
my husband bought a David lee print titled "flight" in the 70's from the patrician galleries inc.  It is called a "fine art print" and has a registration number; I think it is signed by hand in what I assume is Chinese, then in English, and there is a red mark (chop?) as well; it is on what looks like a heavy (even rice like) paper; it is in the original frame and I am loathe to disturb it--the print itself has a vibrant blue brushed over trees in the lower left corner; it is 19 x 17 (the print; it is framed larger, of course). my husband died a few months ago; I am trying to divest and downside to a smaller place, so am anxious to sell this (and other things not Asian).  Can you tell me what this might be worth and where I might connect with buyers of these sorts of prints.  Many thanks for any help you might proffer.  ph

Answer
Dear Pat,

I did a bit more research on this artist and here's what I found regarding his life:

"Chinese artist David Lee was born in Canton, China in 1944 and in 1946 moved with his family to Hong Kong, where he was raised. He began painting at age 4. He was educated in Hong Kong and attended Taiwan University, where he received a B.A. in Fine Arts. He also attended Kaoshung University in Taiwan and the Far East Academy of Art in Hong Kong. David Lee was trained in the classical tradition of Oriental brushwork. Not only a master of technique, Lee does not simply reproduce what nature presents but expands his imagination. Lee has perfected a rich sense of composition and style combining the delicate loveliness of watercolors on silk with Western concepts of design. Lee was the youngest winner ever of the prestigious Chinese National Painting Competition. After moving to Hawaii, where David Lee initially worked for the Consulate General of the Republic of China in the Foreign Affairs Department, David Lee devoted himself to his artwork full-time. He has had numerous one-man shows throughout the world including Hawaii, the U.S. Mainland, Canada, Japan, France, Germany, Switzerland, and Taiwan. David Lee's paintings hang in the permanent collection of the Taiwan University, in the National Museum of Taiwan, and the Chuk-Yun Museum in Hong Kong. Worldwide, his art is shown in over 300 art galleries, universities, and museums, as well as many noteworthy private collections in the U.S., Asia, Europe, and Canada, including the collection of the Imperial Family of Japan. Among the numerous honors David Lee has received are awards from the government of the Republic of China, the government of Switzerland, the City and County of Honolulu, and the City of Osaka, Japan, where he received the Gold Key to the City for his achievements." I copied this information directly from this site http://www.artbrokerage.com/art/leee/
Original paintings by him sell at reasonable prices, I saw items ranging from US $1,500 up to $6,000. His prints however appear to be quite popular and can be found online for prices between $5.00 and $50.00 US dollars. The item you own appears to have been signed by the artist, and this may mean its value is higher than a regular print. You can contact the Patrician Gallery directly and they might be able to better appraise the work for you and provide more information regarding buyers; to access Patrician Gallery go to http://www.patriciangallery.com/contact.asp. You can also search for an appraiser in your area using this site www.appraisers.org. As I mentioned in my previous response I am not an East Asia specialist but I hope this helps a bit.
Good luck

Sincerely,

Carolina Bodner

Carolina Bodner