Fine Art/oil by F.G. Kinnaird 1868

Question
The Watchful Mother 1868
The Watchful Mother 18  
I own a piece that was given to me by my late grandmother and am having trouble obtaining any information about it. I am curious of the possible value, information regarding the artist and if indeed what is stamped on the back of painting is accurate about it originating out of London. Any help or guidance as to whom or where I could find such info, would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You,
Bridget Lasater
There is a stamp on the back,
GEO ROWNEY & COMPANY
52 RATHBONE PLACE
     and
29 OXFORD STREET
LONDON

Answer
Bridget,
You have a painting by Frederick Gerald Kinnaird, an English painter who died in 1881.  

Online, you might check out this website:
http://www.malleries.com/reading-the-note-frederick-gerald-kinnaird-i-20794-s-40

An online antique dealer, Pamela purports to know a bit about Kinnaird.  She writes,
"Kinnaird chose subjects of a story telling nature that proved extremely popular with the English Victorian public. As with many of his contemporaries he idealized rural English Life. He painted both figure subjects and later landscapes. From the Period 1864-1881 he exhibited his work at the Principle British exhibitions including the Royal Academy, Royal Society of British Artists, British Institutions and in Dublin at the Royal Hibernian Academy."

She advertises her Kinnaird at $16,500, so you should contact her, certainly.  At public auction, several of his paintings have sold at $450 between $950 respectively.  Several others have gone unsold at auction.  You might wish to contact the following auction house who sold the $450 painting in January:  

Nadeau's Auction Gallery, Inc.
25 Meadow Road
Windsor, CT  06095
Phone: 860-246-2444
ed@nadeausauction.com
www.nadeausauction.com

The $950 painting was sold in January 2008 through Rose Hill Gallery in Englewood, NJ, proprietor Judith Lipton.  So you might try her as well.

I can not find much about the artist.   It seems there have been reproductions and prints made of this artist's works.

Best of luck in your further research,
Stu  

Stuart Cartwright