Fine Art/2 John Constable Paintings

Cottage In Cornfield
Cottage In Cornfield  
Hi there, I have 2 John Constable paintings that were given to me by my mother. The stickers on the back of them have the following:

This picture has been made with the very best of materials and has been specially treated. It cn be wiped with a damp cloth.

Picture number - 940
Code - 1073
Title - Cottage In Cornfield
Artist - John Constable
Period - 1776 - 1837
Gallery - Victoria & Albert, London

I know nothing about these paintings or the author until a few days ago when I googled information on the artist. Would you happen to know much about these two paintings or where I could get them valued or appraised?
Thank u for your time & eagerly await your response
Kind regards

Dear Luccille,

Thank you for writing about your John Constable reproductions.  Your works were most likely originally sold as museum souvenirs and are unlikely to be original works of the artist.  In order to give you a definitive answer, we'd have to see the works in person.  However, the description provided on the back of the works give us a lot of clues that it is most likely they are prints on canvas.  These prints can be convincing and look very much like paintings to the untrained eye.  I'm sorry that I am not able to give you an appraisal without examining the works in person.  However, if they are indeed prints on canvas, as they appear to be from the photograph and the information you have provided, they would have decorative value.

I wish I had more exciting news to share with you about these works, but this is my best opinion based on the information you have provided.

All the best,

Cindy Charleston-Rosenberg

Our firm provides professional written Art Appraisal Services for formal functions such as donation, estate tax estimation, or insurance. Within the parameters of this site we are happy to answer general questions about art. Examples of such questions would be: "What does the "e.a." on my print mean?", "What does a fraction on the bottom of the image stand for (example 10/200)", or "How do I know if a certificate of authenticy is reliable". However, we regret that we are not able to provide the value of specific works without engagement. Clients who would like to engage us to advise them about the value of specific works of art are invited to visit our website at The "fees" link provides specific directions for how to obtain an informal evaluation, or a formal written report, depending on your specific needs. We are an independent art appraisal company and therefore we also cannot help clients who are looking for a dealer or broker to sell their artwork.

President and Founder: Art Appraisal Firm, LLC Founding Partner and Fine Art Consultant: The Appraisal Firm of Pennsylvania Art Appraisal Consultant to: Museums, Attorneys, Financial Planners, Trust Companies, Historical Societies, Prominent Auction Houses, and Galleries. Contributing Feature Writer for Art Matters magazine, covering fine art, auctions, and antiques. Featured Guest Speaker: Building a Fine Art Collection, Ten Elements in the Appraisal of Fine Art. Proprietor: The Charleston Galleries located in Chestnut Hill, Malvern and Wayne, Pennsylvania; and Lambertville, New Jersey. Specializing in estate paintings and sculpture, 1991-2001

Certified Member in good standing: International Society of Appraisers (ISA). Business Partner Sponsor: Philadelphia Museum of Art; Woodmere Art Museum. General Memberships: The James A. Michener Art Museum, Doylestown and New Hope; The Philadelphia Sketch Club; The Chestnut Hill and Cheltenham Historical Societies; Glenside Chamber of Commerce. Volunteer Activities: Group Facilitator, Safe Harbor Children’s Bereavement Program, Interfaith Houses for Humanity Project.

Art Matters Magazine

B.A., Human Services, Antioch College, 1979 Graduate Studio Courses: Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, 1989-1991 Graduate Studio Courses: University of the Arts, 1989-91 Continuing Education: Appraisal Theory Changes and IRS Standards Changes: ISA, 2007 New IRS Tax Laws: ISA, 2007 Connoisseurship Seminar: ISA, 2007 Art History in Context: The Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2006 Philadelphia Library Symposium, Art and Religion, 2005 Art History Courses: The Impressionists of New Hope: The James A. Michener Art Museum, Doylestown, PA. 2005 Masterpieces in Context: The Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2004 American Indian Painting, ISA, 2001 Art Conservation Panel, ISA, 2001 Appraisal of Prints, ISA, 2001

Completion of the experience, continuing education, peer review, report writing, and qualifying examination requirements for the ISA Certification to Appraise Fine Art (CAPP) designation under the auspices of the University of Maryland. The CAPP (Certified Member) distinction is the highest level of recognition ISA can bestow. Certified ISA members must recertify every five years by demonstrating continued professional development in their specialty areas and must pass a recertification exam. Successful completion of coursework and required examination in the ISA Appraiser as Expert Witness Course.