Fine Art/Dali abe lincoln

I recently purchased a Salvador Dali gala nude/abraham lincoln print, it was printed by the black box collotype in 1980, and published by investment art publishing. it's an H.C. and numbered 21/250 do you have a rouch estimate value for this? Thanks

Dear Felipe,

Thank you for your question.  The image you have is titled 'Lincoln in Dalivision', and it is based on two paintings Dali executed, both titled 'Gala Looking at the Mediterranean Sea which at a Distance of 20 Meters is Transformed into the Portrait of Abraham Lincoln #Homage to Rothko#'.  According to Albert Field's 'Complete Graphic Works of Salvador Dali', the image was published in 1977 by Levine & Levine in an edition of 1240, of which 65 are HC #hors de commerce -- not for sale, used for galleries and such#.  According to Bruce Hochman's 2007 'Annual Print Price Guide to the Graphic Works of Salvador Dali', an original intaglio of this image would market for $26,300.  

This said, 'Lincoln in Dalivision' has been an extremely counterfeited image.  There is nothing in Field's guide that refers to an edition by Investment Art Publishing, leading me to wonder what exactly it is that you have.  There were two editions of posters published in 1980 -- by the Salvador Dali Museum in Florida and the Teatre-Museu Dali in Figueres --, but neither was in a numbered edition as you describe.  I am concerned that you may have a fake work, though I am neither an authenticator nor an appraiser myself, so my information is based wholly on others' research.  For a proper appraisal -- and, indeed, to determine your work's authenticity --, I recommend seeking the opinion of a professional who specialises in Dali's graphics.  Options include the Salvador Dali Archives in New York at, the Salvador Dali Society in Los Angeles at, and/or Bernard Ewell in Santa Fe, NM at

I hope this is helpful.  Good luck!

Kind regards,

Elliott H. King

As a professional art historian, I can answer questions related to the art and life of Salvador Dalí. I am neither an art broker nor an appraiser, so I cannot answer questions regarding a work's value or authenticity; however, I can refer you to individuals who work in the Dali market.

I am an art historian specializing in Salvador Dalí. For over ten years, I have been a pioneer in the critical study of ‘Late Dalí’ (i.e., the artist's work after 1940). I have presented extensively on aspects of Dalí’s production at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Tate Modern, L’Université de Lausanne, Cerisy la Salle, the University of London, and Harvard University, and I have been a guest lecturer at Cambridge University and the University of Chicago. I have published several essays about Dalí in addition to my book, 'Dalí, Surrealism, and Cinema' (Kamera Books, 2007). I have also contributed to major international exhibitions of Dalí's work, including the Dalí Centenary Exhibition (2004-05) and 'Dalí & Film' (2007-08).

BOOKS "Dalí: The Late Work", High Museum of Art, Atlanta in association with Yale UP, 2010. "Dalí, Surrealism and Cinema", Kamera Books, Herts (UK), 2007. ESSAYS, ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS • “Little Black Dress, Little Red Book: Dalí, Mao, and Monarchy (with Special Attention to Trajan’s Glorious Testicles)”, in Michael R. Taylor (ed.), The Dalí Renaissance: New Perspectives on His Life and Art after 1940, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, 2008, pp. 90111. • “The Prodigious Story of the Lacemaker and the Rhinoceros”, in ibid, pp. 190204. • “Crazy Movies That Disappear”, in Matthew Gale (ed.), Dalí and Film, Tate Publishing, London / Museum of Modern Art, New York, 2007, pp. 214229. Published also in Spanish as "Dalí y el cine", Electa, Madrid, 2008. • “Le temps dalínien fait mouche: Réflexions sur les « montres molles »”, in Astrid Ruffa, Philippe Kaenel, Danielle Chaperon (eds.), "Salvador Dalí à la croisée des savoirs", Éditions Desjonquères, Paris, 2007, pp. 3752. • “Winged Fantasy with Lead Feet: The Influence of Llullism and Hiparxiologi on Dalí’s Mysticism”, in Hank Hine, William Jeffett and Kelly Reynolds (eds.), "Persistence & Memory: New Critical Perspectives on Dalí at the Centennial", Bompiani Arte, Milan, 2004, pp. 189193. EXHIBITION CATALOGUES: ENTRIES • Dawn Ades and Michael R. Taylor (eds.), "Dalí", Bompiani Arte, Milan, 2004. EXHIBITION CATALOGUES: BIBLIOGRAPHIES, FILMOGRAPHIES AND CHRONOLOGIES • “Dalí Filmography”, published in Matthew Gale (ed.), "Dalí and Film", op.cit., pp. 230231. • “A Cinematic Chronology of Dalí, 19411989”, in ibid, pp. 160163. • Compiled the most complete bibliography of Dalí resources todate, published in Dawn Ades and Michael R. Taylor (eds.), "Dalí", op.cit., pp. 568598.

Ph.D, Art History and Theory (2010) University of Essex, Colchester, England M.A. with Distinction in Dissertation, History of Art (2001) Courtauld Institute of Art, London, England B.A. summa cum laude, Art History (hons., Phi Beta Kappa) University of Denver, Denver, Colorado