Fine Art/Large Oil on Canvas 1922 Signed Painting

Question
Miss Cindy,
         Good afternoon from Arizona. Perhaps you will be generous enough to attempt to solve what has turned out to be an ongoing enigmatic situation...Will try to be as brief and salient as possible....
         For a number of years I coveted an oil on canvas painting, signed and dated by an artist named M. Dawson. the scene is pastoral called, "The Thames", Image size is 39" x 26".
         Research ALWAYS takes me to World-renowned Marine Painter, Montague J. Dawson particularly because after WW1 he lived in Chiswick, London, almost on the Thames River banks AND, even after gaining fame, his signature, although somewhat flamboyant in his later years, STILL shows a sort of "Gull- Winged" affect to his "M".
         Label on back of frame reads, M.J. Allan, Carver and Gilder, 14, Duke Street, Leith, Edinburgh.Purchase details tell only of the painting being sold in Canada prior to my purchase And a $11,500.00 valuation statement, since lost !!!
         Is it possible that this picture might prove to be a rare pastoral landscape by Montague J. Dawson, R.S.M.A., F.R.S.A.
overlooked these last eighty-odd years ?????
         A trifle long-winded I realise Cindy, yet could be very interesting outcome.        My best regards to you, Johnathon

Answer
Dear Johnathon,

Thank you for contacting the Art Appraisal Firm about your painting.  The label you describe of course pertains to the framer, and a period hand carved and gilded frame tells me that there is at least a possibility that you may have an important painting.  It would not be possible to give any opinion about the likely authorship of the work without at the very least viewing a quality photograph of the work and the signature.  Even then, most appraisers would not feel comfortable appraising a valuable painting without personally inspecting the work.  Authentication is another matter.  This would be accomplished not by an appraiser, but rather, by an art historian or scholar who is recognized as the leading expert on the work of the Dawson.  

That said, from the information you have provided, I would say this is worth pursuing.  If you can attach a photograph of the painting and the signature, I would be happy to provide my opinion as to whether your work is characteristic of Dawson, and if so, researching the authenticator may be in order. Wouldn't that be exciting?    

I look forward to seeing your photograph.

Best,
Cindy

Cindy Charleston-Rosenberg