Fine Art/Oil Painting

I have an oil painting that was given to my grandfather. It is a painting of Emerald Bay,  painted by H. Hansen in 1940. The inital H. could be an A. The painting is about 3 ft high by 4 ft 5 in wide. It is in a wide gold frame. I am interested in it's value and any information about the painter. I was told that he was very popular when it was purchased for my grandfather.

I can answer you speedily, but not thoroughly.  The information you present narrows it down to about two dozen landscape painters either A Hansen or H Hansen.  

If you take a digital photo of the painting, it will allow you to email either to this AllExperts service, or to any of the many fine art dealers and auction houses around the country.  Seeing the artwork may help narrow it down to one of the many Hans or Arne Hansens.

Any additional provenance, perhaps nationality of your grandfather...was he Danish?  Norwegian?  might be of use.

I wish you luck.  It sounds like a nice painting.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration