Fine Art/Oil Painting, unsigned

Question
oil painting
oil painting  
I have a large oil painting that is unsigned. I don't know where to begin to find out the age of the painting or the artist. The stretcher appears to be very old. There are very small nail holes along the edge which make me wonder if it was on another stretcher at one time.

Answer
Hi Linda, I am not familiar with this work but I definitely like it a lot. It may be from the Renaissance era, or taking after that style. The house looks European. My guess is that it is a 20th century work combining a Renaissance style with a modern feel. Nobody in the right mind would put nails through an antique work of fine art. I recommend contacting a major auction house near where you live, such as Bonhams, Sotheby's or Christies.

Sincerely,

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans