Fine Art/Painting by Horacio

Question
8071
8071  
This painting was donated for a charity auction. I have checked the name "Horacio" on line and the style shown there is completely different from our painting.  My question as a complete art dummy is: is this a good painting, is the painter known, anything you can tell me for information at the silent auction will be much appreciated.  It is not painted on canvas, but on a board.  The tethered lizard by the signature is really intriguing. The small people in the middle ground are around a camp fire and in black and red costume. The boy looks really naive and sweet.

Answer
Dear Rosemarie,

Thank you for writing to the Art Appraisal Firm about your painting signed "Horacio". There are many artists with this first and last name. I would have a hard time placing your artist absolutely without more information, such as the rest of the artist's name or a close up photograph of the signature.  Even then, it would take some detective work to pin down your artist.  It is quite possible that the "Horatio" you found on-line is a different artist if the style is markedly different.

I cannot tell from your photograph if your work is an actual painting or a print on board. There are modern works reproduced in this early style that have been hand embellished and look like paintings.  If your painting is an original oil painting, it is well executed for a naaive work and quite charming.

Paintings on wood panel were common in the 18th and 19th Centuries.  However if your painting is on cardboard or artist board, it is more likely a modern work.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

All the best,

Cindy Charleston Rosenberg, ISA CAPP
www.artappraisalfirm.com

Cindy Charleston-Rosenberg