Fine Art/Salvador Dali Alice In Wonderland Market Value

Question
I just bought Salvador Dali - Alice in Wonderland - The Pool of Tears and The Lobster Quadrille, both framed, for $2450 each, including s&h and insurance to Dallas, TX, from Franklin Bowles Galleries at San Francisco.
Do you think $2450 is fair value? what you think is fair value for the whole collection?
However, I found http://www.lockportstreetgallery.com/AinW.htm sell only 1/3 of the price, do you think they're legit?
Can you recommend me a good art dealer who sell Salvador Dali Alice In Wonderland ?

Answer
Dear Eddie,

Thank you for your question, and congratulations on your purchase of the Alice in Wonderland graphics.  I am not an appraiser, so I cannot give you much information on value beyond some basic research I have at my disposal.  According to Bruce Hochman's 2007 price guide for Dali's graphics, the entire Alice in Wonderland suite of 13 graphics values at $15,800 (or $1,215 each, not including shipping, framing and insurance#.  I have observed that this book's estimations are generally a bit higher than actual market, but it gives you an idea.  This isn't to say, necessarily, that you paid an unfair price: Hochman's guide does not say anything about the different papers on which the Alice series was printed, and prices will vary depending on the type of paper, etc.  More specifically, there were 2800 copies of this series printed, plus artist proofs: #I-CC on Rives + a suite of 13 on Japon nacre, 1-2500 on Mandeure, and 1/100-100/100 on Rives.  There were also several EA #epreuve d'artiste/artist proof#.  You did not indicate how your graphics were numbered, and, again, I'm not in a position to say precisely how that would affect value, but I do know that there are various editions and much depends on what type and numbering you have.
The Alice in Wonderland graphics are some of my favourites, and it sounds like you're eager to expand your collection.  I have never bought Dali graphics through a dealer and am reluctant to 'recommend' anyone so much as provide you a few options for consideration.  The Salvador Dali Society #www.dali.com# may be a good place to start, and you may look at the Dali Gallery as well #daligallery.com#.  As for Lockport Street Gallery, I have never had any dealing with them myself, but I have contact with some passionate collectors who highly recommend them.  For some more information, you may want to check out the yahoo group collectdali, which is a great community of collectors who have a lot of information about buying and collecting.
I hope this is helpful.  Good luck!
All best,
Elliott

Elliott H. King