Fine Art/Unsigned Paintings

Pair of 19th Century Portraits
Pair of 19th Century P  
I recently purchased two 19th Century portraits, I'm assuming man and wife.  They are unsigned, however have some difficult to read writing in pencil on the backs of each.  I think one says A M Fidler, however that is only a guess.  They are oil on canvas, measuring 24 X 30 inches.  By the measurements I'm guessing they would be American.  Both were meant to have oval mats.  By the costume, is it possible to give an approximate date?  More importantly, are there refrences on itenerant painters that might, by the paintings characteristics, help in identifying the artist or school.  Thank you in advance.

I would agree you have an American husband & wife.  They look so blissfully happy...they must be married...don't you think?  

Only my guess, but from the black cravat I would say 1860s?   And the gentleman you should contact would be Ron Bourgeault, Northeast Auctions in Portsmouth NH who specializes in early Americana, and has handled thousands of such old portraits.  I know of no A M Fidler.

Best of luck,

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration