Fine Art/information on artist of flower watercolor

flower painting info
flower painting info  
QUESTION: Good day,
 I was wondering if you might be able to help tell me anything about a painting I inherited. I received it from my grandparents thus, I suspect it is from the early 1900's.  I think it is a watercolor and it is rather an usual style.  The signature is on the bottom left of the painting and appears to be Perkhoff however, I haven't been able to uncover any information that an artist with this name exists. I guessed it would be German but I haven't found any German artists with similar names. I've included a picture of the painting with two close-up shots of the signature. The painting is in its original frame and the back is sealed with paper. I have been tempted to rip it off in order to see if there is any other information such as the title on the back of the painting but I'd rather not have to.  I would greatly appreciate any information you may provide about the artist or what the painting may be worth (beyond its lovely aesthetic that is).  Thank you kindly for your time.  Sincerely,

ANSWER: Dear Candida,

Thank you for writing to the Art Appraisal Firm about your watercolor.  The photograph of the signature came through but the photograph of the whole painting did not.  I'd be better able to advise you if you could also send a photograph of the entire work.

Cindy Charleston Rosenberg, ISA CAPP

flower painting full
flower painting full  
QUESTION: Cindy thank you so much for your response.  I apologize the picture of the complete painting didn't get through in my first inquiry.  I've included the picture of head on view of the painting which appears in its original frame.  I hope it may help uncover its origins.  Any information about the painting you might be able to provide would be most appreciated.  Thank you again for your time.  Sincerely,

Dear Candida,

Thank you for sending the photograph of the entire work.  The painting is quite nice, but I would have to do some research to pin down the artist, as I also have not found an artist with this spelling in any of my databases of known artists. Performing this type of research is beyond what I am able to offer without engagement.  

I honestly do not think you want to engage a professional appraiser when the chance that the work is valuable may not warrant the investment.  You may want to contact a local reputable auction house.  It is possible that a personal inspection by a professional may bring better results.

All the best,

Cindy Charleston-Rosenberg

Our firm provides professional written Art Appraisal Services for formal functions such as donation, estate tax estimation, or insurance. Within the parameters of this site we are happy to answer general questions about art. Examples of such questions would be: "What does the "e.a." on my print mean?", "What does a fraction on the bottom of the image stand for (example 10/200)", or "How do I know if a certificate of authenticy is reliable". However, we regret that we are not able to provide the value of specific works without engagement. Clients who would like to engage us to advise them about the value of specific works of art are invited to visit our website at The "fees" link provides specific directions for how to obtain an informal evaluation, or a formal written report, depending on your specific needs. We are an independent art appraisal company and therefore we also cannot help clients who are looking for a dealer or broker to sell their artwork.

President and Founder: Art Appraisal Firm, LLC Founding Partner and Fine Art Consultant: The Appraisal Firm of Pennsylvania Art Appraisal Consultant to: Museums, Attorneys, Financial Planners, Trust Companies, Historical Societies, Prominent Auction Houses, and Galleries. Contributing Feature Writer for Art Matters magazine, covering fine art, auctions, and antiques. Featured Guest Speaker: Building a Fine Art Collection, Ten Elements in the Appraisal of Fine Art. Proprietor: The Charleston Galleries located in Chestnut Hill, Malvern and Wayne, Pennsylvania; and Lambertville, New Jersey. Specializing in estate paintings and sculpture, 1991-2001

Certified Member in good standing: International Society of Appraisers (ISA). Business Partner Sponsor: Philadelphia Museum of Art; Woodmere Art Museum. General Memberships: The James A. Michener Art Museum, Doylestown and New Hope; The Philadelphia Sketch Club; The Chestnut Hill and Cheltenham Historical Societies; Glenside Chamber of Commerce. Volunteer Activities: Group Facilitator, Safe Harbor Children’s Bereavement Program, Interfaith Houses for Humanity Project.

Art Matters Magazine

B.A., Human Services, Antioch College, 1979 Graduate Studio Courses: Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, 1989-1991 Graduate Studio Courses: University of the Arts, 1989-91 Continuing Education: Appraisal Theory Changes and IRS Standards Changes: ISA, 2007 New IRS Tax Laws: ISA, 2007 Connoisseurship Seminar: ISA, 2007 Art History in Context: The Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2006 Philadelphia Library Symposium, Art and Religion, 2005 Art History Courses: The Impressionists of New Hope: The James A. Michener Art Museum, Doylestown, PA. 2005 Masterpieces in Context: The Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2004 American Indian Painting, ISA, 2001 Art Conservation Panel, ISA, 2001 Appraisal of Prints, ISA, 2001

Completion of the experience, continuing education, peer review, report writing, and qualifying examination requirements for the ISA Certification to Appraise Fine Art (CAPP) designation under the auspices of the University of Maryland. The CAPP (Certified Member) distinction is the highest level of recognition ISA can bestow. Certified ISA members must recertify every five years by demonstrating continued professional development in their specialty areas and must pass a recertification exam. Successful completion of coursework and required examination in the ISA Appraiser as Expert Witness Course.