Fine Art/signed miniature painting

A number of years ago I acquired a miniature painting mounted in a custom walnut?inlaid frame and signed diagonally in script by Angelica Kaufmann.  I have not removed it from its frame, which has a wooden backing held on with six small goldish-looking screws, but the visual portion is 1-3/4" high x 2-1/4" wide.  The scene is a well dressed woman with a naked child, being attended to by 3 handmaidens, with a tree in the background.  I am uncertain of the material it is painted on, ivory or porcelain?, although it is not absolutely flat, but is sort of convexly-raised, with the center being the highest.  

Could you assist me in determining the age of this miniature, or refer me to an appraiser in the San Francisco area?  I am at work, so I don't have it with me to attach an image, but could send it at a later time.  

Thank you so very much for your time.  

Hi Barbara,

There are dozens of well-qualified appraisers in the San Francisco Bay Area. There are several San Francisco appraisers listed at International Fine Art Appraisers .

You can also take the work to a large auction house. I recommend contacting Christies or Sothebys auction houses, as they are the two largest auction houses in the world.

Please let me know if you would like any more information on learning more about your work of art.

Thank you,

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University