Fine Art/Degas pastel drawing

I recently discovered during the christmas holidays, a frame that had a picture of me and my sisters.  I wanted to make my sisters copies of our childhood photo to give as gifts,I am now 40, and the photo has me at 1 year old.  I know my mother had it long before that. And upon removing the photo, I noticed that it was covering up a Edgar Degas Pastel Drawing.  The back of the photo says Gallery of Fine Arts Royale Academie, and has the history of the artist Edgar Degas, and then it says "The Theatre Box" and it goes on to say " This work is not painted, but drawn with pastels, a medium Degas was a master of.  and it goes on to describe the photo. Then at the end of the description is has 6-8.  Can you tell me what this means.  

Sounds like a low end reproduction, like you might see in a museum store or gift shop.  If it is an original pastel, the pastel itself is something you could rub off, unless its been sealed with a spray varnish or sealer of some type.  When they say it was not painted, they are prob talking about the original, not your print. I have not seen it in person, so I cannot be sure.
You will find the title "Theatre Box" was a favorite among a number of artists like Renoir and others.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.