Fine Art/Lerma Painting

Question
Hi Dolly  I Have An Original Oil Painting 24"x32" Oil Or Water On Canvas Of Marc Chagall's Falling Angel Signed By Lerma.This Is Not An Exact Copy As The Artist Lerma Painted The Time On The Clock Different, Left Out The Cross And Many More Subtle Differences.The Painting Is Quite Old And Has 1hxx#200c Written On The Bottom Of The Stretcher Where The Staples Are As Well As 1hxx#200c On The Stretcher Itself.Would These Numbers Mean Anything To You And Could There Be A Secondary Market For This Artist?Will Send Pictures If You Need Them,Thanks For Your Time Brent.

Answer
Dear Brent,

Many artists will copy master paintings to improve their technique. It would be difficult for me to say what a collector would be willing to pay for it. If the artist himself were well known it would likely increase the value. If you want to sell it, put the lowest price you would be willing to get for it and use that as a start on an online auction and let the collectors decide what they want to pay. I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley