Fine Art/MC ESCHER PRINT

Question
MCE
MCE  
HELLO,
I HAVE ACQUIRED A PRINT BY MCE 1953 ON THE PRINT...I WAS WONDERING IF THERE IS ANY VALUE TO THIS PRINT? AND IF I SHOULD HANG ON TO IT. viewable portions measures approx. 17x16 and has not been removed from frame.  THANK YOU~
REGARDS,
BARB

Answer
The print you have is titled 'Relativity,' and it is a copy of a lithograph M. C. Escher created in 1953. We know it is a copy since all original examples of this print were printed directly from Escher's lithograph stone (much in the same way you might print with a rubber stamp, but with different media) and all printings must be the same size as the block, which is about 12" square. Therefore, if your image size is larger than 12" X 12" your print is a copy, a poster version of Escher's lithograph. Additionally, generally it was Escher's practice to sign his original lithographs in pencil below the image and include an edition number such as 12/25. For more information on Escher's original prints, please visit my website at www.artistsmarket.com. Thank you for your enquiry.
Jeffrey Price

Jeffrey Price