Fine Art/Marc Chagall Original Lithograph

Question
I'm interested in the Marc Chagall's 'Romeo and Juliet' lithograph. However, I am quite a novice into lithograph. Could you help me better understand what is a lithograph?

First, what is a lithograph?

Any different types of lithograph?

How are colors applied?

Is it oil?

Some of this lithography is associated with Charles Sorlier? Who is he?

Is there a high value for lithograph?

Are lithograph usually signed by the artist (i.e. Marc Chagall)?

Is the lithograph the same size as the original work?

Is it the same thing as a poster?

What is some lithography for a piece worth a lot and some of the same piece elsewhere worth almost nothing?

Thank you.

Eric

Answer
Chagall, Romeo and Juliet
Chagall, Romeo and Jul  
> What is a lithograph?
Lithography is a type of printing technique, and a lithograph is the resulting printed image. A design is painted on a stone with a greasy crayon or something similar and is chemically fixed on the stone with acid. The stone is then flooded with water which is absorbed everywhere except where repelled by the greasy ink. An oil-based ink is placed on the stone, which is repelled in turn by the water-soaked areas and accepted only by the drawn design. A paper is rolled over all of this and that will display a mirror image of what was painted on the stone.

There are different types of lithographs. Collotype, offset lithographs, cliche-verre, chine colle to name a few. These techniques are often combined with other printing techniques, such as etching, to achieve the result that the artist wants.

> Some of this lithography is associated with Charles Sorlier? Who is he?  
Sorlier was Chagall's exclusive printer from about 1940 onwards.

> Is there a high value for lithograph?
Yes. depends on quality and image.  Romeo and Juliette is in my opinion one of the best works Chagall did. Typically will sell in galleries for $90,000-125,000 or more. There is a poster version that sells for $800-1500. There are also fakes of each work.

> Are lithograph usually signed by the artist (i.e. Marc Chagall)?
Sometimes. Just depends on what the artist decided to do with the lithograph. In the case of Chagall and his original works, except for book illustrations, they should all be hand signed by him.

> Is the lithograph the same size as the original work?  
No, the original image that Chagall based his Romeo and Juliet lithograph is a portion of a mural he did at Lincoln center.

> Is it the same thing as a poster?
No, unless you have the poster version with text.

> What is some lithography for a piece worth a lot and some of the same piece elsewhere worth almost nothing?
You are probably referring to poster versions of some lithographs. A popular and valuable lithograph may have a poster version, which is going to be worth far less since the poster version wasn't necessarily made by the artist's hand or even with his/her consent.

There you have it, Eric. Feel free to contact me again with more questions concerning Chagall's works and lithographs.

Sincerely,

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans