Fine Art/any value....

Question
Aristotle contemplating bust of homer
Aristotle contemplatin  
Hi again!

I have one more question, this is regarding a large: Rembrandt Harmensz Van Ryn print/litho that I have. The title is Aristotle Contemplating The Bust of Homer. The size is about 27 1/2" by 29". It is still in the frame that it was first placed in.

On the back of the art piece there is a large sticker that reads:
ARISTOTLE CONTEMPLATING THE BUST OF HOMER (REMBRANDT HARMENSZ VAN RYN, DUTCH, 1606-1669 FIRST COLLOTYPE EDITION - COPYRIGHT THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART, NEW YORK

THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART, PURCHASE 1961.

What is first collotype? and is there any value to this at all?
just wondering.

Thank you for all of your efforts.
It is very much appreciated.

Answer
Dear Malcolm,

The original oil painting “Aristotle Contemplating the Bust of Homer” is owned by the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  Museums often make prints of master works within the museum collection. This print was commissioned by the museum to sell in their museum store or give to special patrons. I do not know the edition size, but collotype is considered original print making and is a premier method of print reproductions. The editions are usually less than 2000 copies. If you Google it you can get a more detailed description of the technique. Your print was released in 1962 by the Met. I do not know the original price and I have not been able to locate a current price on the piece. It is of value as a quality vintage reproduction print.  It has much more value than a modern poster printing.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley