Fine Art/Elizabeth Jane Gardner

Hello, i recently found a painting at a yard sale that is in very good condition. on the back of the frame it reads "elizabeth jane gardner., the shepard david, c. 1895 oil on canvas
60 1/2 x 41 3/8 inch. coutesy of the national museum of women in the arts washington dc".  i was wondering if you could tell me if this would be the original, or just a print? and if either way it would be of any value. any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

You will be interested to see this page:

As you know, she studied and married the great French artist
William Bouguereau.   Original paintings by this New England
native are highly prized and very valuable.  Not likely to
be found at a yard sale, I'm afraid.

Not to say that you might not very much enjoy hanging a
reproduction of this fine art.  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration