Fine Art/Hector Salas Oil Painting

Hector Salas Painting
Hector Salas Painting  
I inherited a Hector Salas Oil painting and was wondering if you could tell me if it is original and what it may be worth. The painting is 47"L x 24"H without adding the frame and with the frame 56"L 32"H. It has a beautiful winter barn scene on it. I have enclosed a photo also. Thank you for your help.

Hi Kim,
I can find no record of Hector Salas artwork selling at public auction, nor have I seen his work before.  However, there is evidence from a simple google search that he is a bonafide American artist.  Yes, probably original artwork.  Don't be afraid to show it directly to a gallery owner, museum official or auctioneer in your area.  The internet is great, but there is never any substitute for directly eyeballing an artwork.

Take a look at these inquiries & answers (which you no doubt found as well.)

Your piece is quite large, and would look very handsome in any home.  I like the scene.  Nice barnboard frame.  Looks good.  I would fathom an auctioneer might estimate a $1000 - $1,200 range for this.  In a retail shop, it might carry a price tag of $2,000 - $2,500.   If I were just looking to turn it quickly to cash, accepting something in the neighborhood of $800 would be a win.  Always be willing to negotiate.

Best of luck,

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration