Fine Art/Marc Chagall

Question
Hi Dan, I recently purchased a Marc Chagall print(Temptation) from a thrift store. It measures 17"X25" inside the frame. Two slivers of index cards are glued to the paper on the back of the frame; "Temptation, Marc Chagall 1887-". The other ones reads, "City Art Museum of St. Louis. Gift of Morton D. May". The C in Chagall is blocked by the edge of the metal frame, which I might add is impenetrable, because the rivets holding it together. I contacted the Museum, and was told that they may have produced some prints years ago, but they would've been 11"X14" not 17"X25". I can find no place online that sells the Temptation print, and the only views I get are tied to the museum, which does own the copyright. My question(finally), did the museum produce a short run of my print, possibly connected to the passing of, Morton D. May in 1983? PS. My print is definitely museum quality.
Thank you in advance for you're time.

Answer
The Chagall works I am familiar with were hand worked and hand signed by the artist. When you see: Gift of Morton D. May, or similar comments, it simply means the original painting was a gift to the museum, and has no bearing on the value of the print. They should probably re-word those types of comments as to not confuse the owner of the poster. If you feel the print is hand signed by the artist, I might be able to be of more help, but it does not sound like you have a signed original graphic?

Dan

Dan Twyman