Fine Art/Michel de Gallard

Question
Unknown
Unknown  
I am trying to help a friend with her mother's estate.  Her mother left her a note that this painting may be valuable.  If so, she'll probably want to sell it.  Where do I go from here?  Can you give me a range of value of this artist's work? Who does she take it to for sale purposes?

Answer
Dear Catherine,

It is an exquisite painting. His work has mainly been sold at auction in Europe. I have not found a market for his work here in the U.S. I cannot give you a value of your friends specific painting; but his paintings have sold at auction in the $2000 range for work the size of this painting. This does not give a value that could be realized if the right buyer is found. I located a gallery in South Africa that carries his work. You may want to contact them to find out the estimated value and options for selling.

http://micheldegallard.everard-read-capetown.co.za/?m=1

If your friend wants to sell in the U.S.; she can contact one of the major auction houses for an estimate on a future auction. These would be Christies, Sothebys, Swann, Butterfields, etc.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley