Fine Art/oil painting

Question
girl on dock
girl on dock  
Thank you for taking the time to help us non experts. I am
trying to help a friend sell this painting and I have no
idea what it might be worth or who the artist is. he is in
his 60's and said it belonged to his great grandmother. so
its old!
its in one of those old wooden frames, where the backing
looks like a piece of wood. I didnt take it out of the frame
for I am afraid of damaging it, if you feel I need to do
that please let me know the best way. its 17 inches long and
is of a girl on a dock,i can get more pics if needed. thanks
for your help! Debbie

Answer
Debbie,
I'd say you have an attractive, original oil painting.  It could very well be executed on wood panel, so I'd advise you not to play around with the backing or the frame, lest you damage the paint surface, but get it to a dealer who might assist you.  One way to find a dealer these days:  Type your zip code and the word "auctioneer" into a Google Search.  Look for dealers & auctioneers who primarily handle "fine art" or paintings.  Though many estate sale dealers can appraise old paintings, too.   If you can get a good light, train it on those reeds down at the bottom left and see if you can't find a signature or initials.  Any pencil inscriptions on the backside (verso) would help.  An auctioneer might well describe this as 19th century American School and give you an estimate of two to three hundred dollars if authentic. If you can find the signature of a known artist of the nineteenth century, or have it authenticated as such, it would be worth much more.  A good dealer should be able to assist you.

Best of luck,
Stu

Stuart Cartwright