Fine Art/tall ship painting

Tall Ship
Tall Ship  
I recently inherited this painting. Although the signature is legible, I am
still not sure of it. Can you tell me anything about who and when this
was painted? The name looks like "porle" or "parle".
Thank you so much.

This is a long, long shot...but your painting immediately looked not so much like fine art, as the work of a commercial illustrator possibly.

So, here is the name of a commercial illustrator that *may* match your signature:

John Joseph Parle (1875 - 1954)
A California commercial artist who lived in the San Leandro area.  He is listed in Edan Hughes, "Artists in California, 1786-1940"

I know nothing about this artist, nor have I seen his work, so you'll have to pick it up from there.  That is what makes collecting art fun...the research one often has to undertake.  But here is a start...maybe?

Best of luck!

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration